It’s a little early for spring cleaning, but hey!, its always springtime in Florida 🙂 I followed these steps which I found at Zen Bedrooms here. I included a copy of the steps to follow below but added my own comments as well. For example, I added in my special herb mixture that I like to use to freshen up the house! Comment if you try and make it yourself! I want to try different mixtures, such as with vanilla and lavender. Or maybe even orange peel for a Florida feel!
This method is suitable for a memory foam mattress, a memory foam mattress topper, pocket sprung mattress, and a variety of others. As usual, always check the label first to make sure this type of cleaning is okay!
A stain removing formula – I used OxiClean, as suggested. It’s always worked best for me!
A sieve – I used a coffee filter instead! The holes in my sieve were too big!
Two new tennis balls – I thought this would be super loud, but it wasn’t. A new trick I’m going to have to do from now on!
Dryer sheets – I used basic, unscented ones. Publix brand.
Essential oil I used a “fresh linen” spray. I love the smell of fresh linen!
1) Remove and wash your memory foam mattress cover in a hot water with vinegar (about one cup). This smells very bad so keep the laundry door shut! I soaked mine beforehand (as suggested) in cold water and OxiClean. If you use a mattress aside from a memory foam mattress, you may find there is no cover to be removed (such as with a pocket sprung mattress)
2) Sprinkle your bare memory foam mattress with baking soda. Insider tip: I also added some fresh ground herbs! I mixed dried lemon peel and dried lavender, crushed and ground to a fine powder, and mixed it with the baking soda.
3) You can either let your memory foam mattress cover air dry outside or you can dry in a dryer. I choose a dryer and tried the tennis ball method listed above, which actually worked. A little noisy but very cool! I usually have a problem with my linens not rotating well enough in the dryer or coming out wrinkly, but this solved that problem.
4) Layer your mattress with dryer sheets and sprinkle a few drops of essential oils for an added touch. I added a “fresh linen” spray. It smelled good! Especially with my secret dried herb mixture 🙂
5) Remake your freshly cleaned memory foam mattress or pocket sprung mattress with your newly cleaned cover and linens.
Voila! A fresh and clean new start for your mattress! Try this with your memory foam mattress or pocket sprung mattress today 🙂